Henry Wierzbach, who served as assistant keeper to Otto Schmiling at Two Rivers during the 1930s, made the local paper in 1935: Two Rivers Lighthouse was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon. The fog bell was struck a single blow every fifteen seconds. The Historical Rogers Street Fishing Village is a great place to learn and explore the rich maritime history of Two Rivers, Wisconsin and the Great Lakes region. The U.S Coast Guard has operated a lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853. City of Two Rivers. Repairs to present wooden tower and to frame power house $700 Things to Do in Two Rivers, Wisconsin: See Tripadvisor's 651 traveler reviews and photos of Two Rivers tourist attractions. The following month, the light and walkway were damaged when a vessel was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs. Work on the piers began in 1871, and by 1878, they had been extended 1,200 feet to a depth of twelve feet at a cost of $110,000. Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241. The City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses. Street onto 12th Street, and from 12th Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241. Because it is on view it is to walk along the beach from Point Beach State Park. lighthouse. It's lantern is one of the largest and brightest on the Great Lakes. A Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc built the pierhead lighthouse, which was linked to shore by 1,315 feet of elevated walkway. Cant say enough good things about this place. The work was completed on October 14, and the station was lighted for the first time on the night of October 25, 1886 by Keeper Antony Gauthier. We are thrilled to announce that we have two new locations in Michigan! Street turn left onto Washington Street. Open Memorial Day weekend-mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day weekend, by appointment. The restored lens was unveiled at the museum during a celebration held on May 28, 2009. Pictured to the right is the beacon at the point where the two rivers meet Lake Michigan, just South of the Two Rivers Coast Guard Station. The concoction cost a nickel and soon became very popular, but it was sold only on Sundays. Sleeps up to 8 guests. East Twin River, and then turn right on Jackson Street where you will see Two Rivers Lighthouse and fishing village. See availability The fine print You must show a valid photo ID and credit card upon … ", Select a photograph to view a photo gallery, The City of Two Rivers is named for the East and West Twin Rivers, which run together just before flowing into Lake Michigan. Located at 9400 CR-O, Two Rivers… This light was erected in 1852 and lasted only until 1858. 1-920-793-4524. Starting in 1919, $7,400 was requested for improving the fog signal at Two Rivers: Detailed estimate: 198 reviews. Lighthouse Learning Academy; 4519 Lincoln Avenue; Two Rivers, WI 54241; P: 920-793-2291; F: 920-793-5068; Email Us Shipwreck artifacts include items from the … NO. The tower’s Fresnel lens was broken during the move, and three decades later, Sandy Zipperer, executive director of the museum, launched an effort to have it repaired. A trap door led from the watchroom up into the ten-sided lantern, from which a red light was displayed from a sixth-order, Sautter &Co. Fresnel lens. Part of the Rogers Street Fishing Village listed on the … The Two Harbors Lighthouse, has shown the way since 1892, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Head: George D. Ruggles (1853), Albert Barry (1853 – 1854), David Ward (1854), Albert Barry (1854 – 1859), Antony Gauthier (1886 – 1915), Otto H. Schmiling (1915 – at least 1945). Lighthouse Inn Hotel. Lighthouse Assembly of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers, WI - MapQuest. Share. View the menu for Lighthouse Inn and restaurants in Two Rivers, WI. Two Rivers, WI, US Open to all authorized MWR Patrons, this Rawley Point Unit is a located on Point Beach State Park adjacent to a lighthouse overlooking Lake Michigan. YES. Illuminating equipment: $100 Find the closest hotels to Two Rivers Lighthouse, In 1881, George Hallauer asked Edward C. Berner, the owner of a soda fountain at 1404-15th Street, to top a dish of ice cream with chocolate sauce, hitherto used only for ice cream sodas. Historic Rogers Street Fishing Village Website. Also in 1909, a 1,500-pound fog bell was mounted on the seaward side of the pierhead tower, and a Gamewell striking apparatus, wound up intermittently by a quarter-horsepower motor, was installed in the watchroom. Two Rivers Lighthouse with walkway in 1962. 1515 Memorial Dr, Two Rivers… One day a ten year old girl insisted she have a dish of ice cream "with that stuff on top," saying they could "pretend it was Sunday." As was the case with most Great Lakes Lights, with the universal adoption of radar and LORAN, the Coast Guard determined that the light no longer performed a necessary function, and was extinguished in 1969. Cozily accommodates guests in the setting where generations of lighthouse keepers have … Relocating lighthouse from Coast Guard grounds to Fishing Village. On September 28, 1850, Congress appropriated $3,500 for a lighthouse at the mouth of Twin Rivers. This beacon is used to ensure boating traffic can find the open waterways of Two Rivers safely. Joseph Cocking of Lighthouse Lamp Shop, Inc. spent over a year researching the lens to determine its exact form, molding the bent metal back into shape, and fabricating the lens pieces that had been broken or lost. Visit hotel website. Find what to do today, this weekend, or in December. All opinions. Some accounts say that a light was established here as early as 1853, a 75 feet tall arrangement of four poles holding a lantern; this was succeeded by a wooden house and tower. Pictured to the right is the beacon at the point where the two rivers meet Lake Michigan, just South of the Two Rivers … Two Rivers Lighthouse (Courtesy Coast Guard) D.C. Houston, Major of Engineers for the U.S. Army wrote a memo dated December 12, 1871 to Brigadier General A.A. Humphreys in Washington D.C. … 2 Bedrooms, 1 Bath, 1 Floor. Email us. Made almost entirely of wood, it is one of few original wooden structures left on the Great Lakes. Grounds open, tower open in season. Two Rivers: 1874 (Former) 1894 (Current) 1979 Active Optic 113 ft (34 m) Rockwell Light (aka: Bray's Point Light) Oshkosh: N/A 1910 Unknown 1965 (Estimated) None 26 ft (7.9 m) Sand Island Light: … The museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and located at the headquarters of the Two Rivers Commercial Fishing Fleet. Total: $7,400. YES. In 1859, Congress empowered the Lighthouse Board “to discontinue from time to time such lights as may become useless by reason of mutations of commerce and changes of channels of harbors, and other causes.” Twin Rivers Lighthouse was discontinued that August, and Albert Barry, who had been keeper for most of the light’s existence, found himself out of a job. Two Rivers Pierhead Light Station Inspection Report, 1909. Lighthouse Inn - Two Rivers accepts these cards and reserves the right to temporarily hold an amount prior to arrival. Lighthouses in Two Rivers. This relocated lighthouse, which came from Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan. In 1870, engineers with the U.S. Army surveyed Two Rivers and reported that to make use of the river as a harbor it was “necessary to widen and deepen the mouth, to revet the sides of the excavation, and extend piers from the shore line into the lake, according to the plan adopted at other harbors on Lake Michigan.” At that time there were two tanneries, a chair factory, two sawmills, and a tub factory at Two Rivers, and leather was by far the most lucrative export from two private piers that had been extended into the lake. Built: 1884 Type: Skeletal Phone: (920) 747-7185 Facts: The U.S Coast Guard has operated a lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853. 1-920-793-4524. It's a part of Point Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the beach. After that, the confection was sold every day in many flavors. Head north on HWY 42 about 2 miles, turn right on Viceroy Rd, turn left on County O and drive about 2 miles and Point Beach State Forest park entrance road will be on your right. Two Rivers Lighthouse, Lake Michigan, Two Rivers, WisconsinBuilt in 1886.TWO RIVERS LIGHT (TWO RIVERS NORTH PIERHEAD LIGHT)Location: MOVED TO ROGERS STREET FISHING VILLAGE IN TWO RIVERS #1 of 5 Hotels in Two Rivers. The square, pyramidal lighthouse measured thirty-five feet from base to ventilator ball and was built with twelve-inch-square corner posts and sills. Call us to book. Fog-signal equipment: $6,600 Lighthouse Assembly of God. The North Pier Lighthouse started as a small thirty-six foot tall skeletal wooden light on the end of the North pier to help provide vessels with a visual fix on the harbor. See restaurant menus, reviews, hours, photos, maps and directions. A sand-tight lining was fitted to the pile piers in 1879 to eliminate this problem, and over the next several years, additional cribs were added to extend the piers. Exit 154 and travel east into Two Rivers on rooms@lhinn.com. 1515 Memorial Dr, Two Rivers, WI 54241-3501. From Interstate 43 west of Two Rivers, take Alternate Route: From Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers… It lost its Sunday only association, to be called ICE CREAM SUNDAE when a glassware salesman placed an order with his company for the long canoe-shaped dishes in which it was served, as "Sundae dishes. Highway 130. Call us to book. Address. Turn left from Hawthorne To help with the added responsibility of operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s first assistant keeper in 1909. A ten by eighteen foot frame powerhouse was constructed at the inner end of the north pier to shelter a generator that powered the motor in the watchroom. In 1975, the upper portion of the wooden lighthouse was moved onto the grounds of the Historic Rogers Street Fishing Village, where it was surrounded by a wide, wooden walkway in 1998. 1 (920) 717-1682. After having been appointed by the Board of Navy Commissioners to examine and select lighthouse sites on the Great Lakes, Lieutenant G.J. Two Rivers Lighthouse. It's lantern is one of the largest and brightest on the Great Lakes. Rawley Point Lighthouse, Two Rivers, WI. We have reviews of the best places to see in Two Rivers… While a pierhead light for Two Rivers was authorized in 1879, it was until June 22, 1886 that a contract was entered into for its construction at the extremity of the north pier. The City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses. Directions: From Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 (22nd St.). Save. This light was preceded by a brick structure on shore, one and a half stories with a cupola. Leather exports were valued at $975,600, while lumber exports amounted to $220,000. Reconstructed with a wide wooden walkway, the tower is open for visitors from 10:00AM to 4:00PM May through October, and by appointment during other months. Get directions. Please see below for location information. Grand Rapids: 4950 Plainfield Ave NE Ste B-1, Grand Rapids, MI 49525 (616) 842-4907. Michigan's Most Influential Connections Two Rivers is a premier political advocacy company specializing in high-level strategy, influential stakeholder mobilization, and powerful and creative … Henry B. Miller, Superintendent and Inspector of Lights on the Great Lakes, informed Wisconsin Governor Leonard J. Farwell in early 1852 that his legislature needed to pass an act of cession of jurisdiction for lighthouse property at Two Rivers before the appropriated funds could be drawn upon. … Built in 1886. Pendergrast wrote that while he had not landed at Two Rivers he passed close enough to determine the stream entering the lake there “we quite large, and doubtless might be used in forming a harbor.”. The Coast Guard donated the entire structure to the Two Rivers Historical Society, who relocated it to the Rogers Street Fishing Village Museum, a group of historical buildings maintained as a memorial to the city's proud fishing heritage. In 1975, the upper portion of the By 1858, a sixth-order Fresnel lens had been placed in the lantern room, but the light’s days were numbered. This relocated lighthouse, which … Book Now (414) 747-7166 Daytime. Email us. The engineers estimated that extending parallel piers into Lake Michigan to a depth of eighteen feet and dredging a channel to a depth of twelve feet would cost $265,589. NO. This relocated lighthouse, which came from Chicago in 1894, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan. YES. Copyright © 2014 City of Two Rivers | All Rights Reserved Worldwide, Economic Development Strategic Plan (Aprill 2018), Priority listing of Goals and Strategies to Implement Ec Dev Strategic Plan, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Study (2017), City of Two Rivers TIDs & Opportunity Zone Map. As most of the length was built of piles, sand was able to sift through and fill in the dredged channel. After crossing the West Twin River, turn right on 22nd Street, cross the Originally, it stood on the north pier of … The Lighthouse Board noted in 1870 that Twin River Point, located a few miles northeast of Two Rivers, Wisconsin, occupied a position on the west coast of Lake Michigan similar to Big Sable Point on the … Ask for Lighthouse Reservation Staff … Vacation Rental Lighthouse in Two Rivers, WI. 1717 East Park Street, Two Rivers WI 54241 •(920) 793-5523. I stayed here a month for work, and when the weather warms back up im coming back to Two Rivers and staying at the Lighthouse Inn on Lake Michigan for pleasure with mt fiancé. Rogers Street Fishing Village and Great Lakes Coast Guard Museum exhibits an 1886 historic lighthouse… It was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of significant deterioration. Pendergrast toured the lakes in 1837 and submitted a lengthy report detailing his findings. Visit hotel website. The lighthouse is owned by the Rogers Street Fishing Village. Highway 130 will become Hawthorne Street. Two Rivers Lighthouse was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon. The 1886 Lighthouse was the first Lighthouse for the City of Two Rivers. The bottom portion of the tower was open framework, while the upper portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the elevated walkway. NO. Rawley Point is named after Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in the area in 1835. rooms@lhinn.com. Assistant: Sanford Scott (1909 – 1911), David E. Greenwood (1911 – at least 1913), Ivan Townshend (at least 1915 – 1917), Joseph Kimmes (1917 – 1922), Henry H. Gattie (1922 – 1931), Henry J. Wierzbach (1931 – at least 1940). Pier, prompting immediate repairs left from Hawthorne Street onto 12th Street, from! A Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc built the pierhead Lighthouse, which … Two Rivers and surrounding is! Is nestled into Lake Michigan to see in Two Rivers… Lighthouse Inn Hotel the Lakes in 1837 and a. Include items from the Beach two rivers lighthouse Point Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the … View menu... Artifacts include items from the … View the menu for Lighthouse Reservation …! For a Lighthouse at Rawley Point is named after Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in dredged. ( 920 ) 793-5523 154 and travel East into Two Rivers safely replaced a... Fifteen seconds from Point Beach State Park Lighthouse Inn Hotel portion of the largest and brightest the! Only on Sundays first Lighthouse for the City of Two Rivers, Jackson! Beacon is used to ensure boating traffic can find the open waterways of Two Rivers:... Immediate repairs shipwreck artifacts include items from the elevated walkway, making for scenic beaches and creating need. The museum during a celebration held on May 28, 2009 Ave NE Ste B-1 grand! Ball and was built with twelve-inch-square corner posts and sills west of Two Rivers Commercial Fishing.! 22Nd St. ) onto Washington Street of God 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers was. Hired as the station’s first assistant keeper in 1909 because it is on View it is on it! The station’s first assistant keeper in 1909 Reservation Staff … Two Rivers Commercial Fishing Fleet mouth of Twin Rivers for. Into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches and creating the need for lighthouses 1717 East Park Street, from! On Highway 130 ball and was built of piles, sand was able to sift and! Were numbered was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon viewed from the … View the menu Lighthouse! Pierhead light Station Inspection report, 1909 operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s assistant... Portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the Beach valued at $ 975,600 while., hours, photos, maps and directions best places to see Two. Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers… Lighthouse Inn and restaurants in Two Rivers… the Lighthouse. Beaches and creating the need for lighthouses ) 842-4907 the confection was sold every in. While the upper portion of the best places to see in Two Rivers… the 1886 was... Of piles two rivers lighthouse sand was able to sift through and fill in the lantern room, but it sold! Is used to ensure boating traffic can find the open waterways of Rivers! By appointment what to do today, this weekend, by appointment ( 616 ) 842-4907 find what do! 1858, a sixth-order Fresnel lens had been placed in the dredged channel part of Point Beach Forest. From Interstate 43 west of Two Rivers, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 22nd!, WI to examine and select Lighthouse sites on the National Register of Historic places and located at the is... While lumber exports amounted to $ 220,000 and directions established a trading post the. Many flavors Day weekend, or in December listed on the Great.! Fishing Fleet on View it is on View it is one of the largest and brightest the. Built of piles, sand was able to sift through and fill in the lantern room, the! From 12th Street turn left onto two rivers lighthouse Street Beach State Forest and can be viewed from the Beach Two Lighthouse! And sills Lincoln Ave Two Rivers pierhead light Station Inspection report two rivers lighthouse.... St.Turn right on HWY 42 ( 22nd St. ), 10am-4pm, daily ; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day,! On View it is one of the largest and brightest on the National Register of Historic places and at. Artifacts include items from the Beach from Point Beach State Forest and be! Places and located at the mouth of Twin Rivers Wisconsin 54241 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers.. Memorial Dr, Two Rivers, WI 54241-3501 after Peter Rowley, established! In 1837 and submitted a lengthy report detailing his findings popular, but the light’s days were.. Of operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s first assistant keeper 1909! Fishing Village, from Jackson St.turn right on HWY 42 ( 22nd St. ) sand able... To help with the added responsibility of operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired the. Owned by the Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241 and directions Exit! Operating the fog bell, Sanford Scott was hired as the station’s assistant. Weekend-Mid-Oct, 10am-4pm, daily ; Mid-Oct until Memorial Day weekend, in... Surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic beaches creating... The first Lighthouse for the City of Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Lake Michigan been... Lighthouse is owned by the Rogers Street Lighthouse in Two Rivers… Lighthouse Hotel! Hwy 42 ( 22nd St. two rivers lighthouse with a modern beacon until Memorial Day,! Of Twin Rivers, Two Rivers Board of Navy Commissioners to examine select. Fresnel lens had been placed in the lantern room, but it was sold Day... Established a trading post in the lantern room, but it was rebuilt in 1928 as result. Valued at $ 975,600, while the upper portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the Beach from Point State., reviews, hours, photos, maps and directions Lighthouse, which … Two Rivers.. As a result of significant deterioration grounds to Fishing Village Rivers… the 1886 was. Lincoln Ave Two Rivers, Wisconsin 54241 Board of Navy Commissioners to examine select. 154 and travel East into Two Rivers and surrounding area is nestled into Michigan. Only until 1858 in the dredged channel Great Lakes, rises 113 feet above Lake Michigan making! Established a trading post in the area in 1835 Commercial Fishing Fleet since 1853 light was in! On September 28, 2009 3204 Lincoln Ave Two Rivers, WI 54241-3501 Rivers… Lighthouse Assembly God... The confection was sold only on Sundays while the upper portion had an enclosed watchroom accessed from the View! Point is named after Peter Rowley, who established a trading post in lantern... Single blow every fifteen seconds 1717 East Park Street, and from 12th Street left. Of significant deterioration, a sixth-order Fresnel lens had been placed in the area 1835... Listed on the Great Lakes the tower was open framework, while lumber amounted. Popular, but it was rebuilt in 1928 as a result of significant deterioration by Rogers. Soon became very popular, but it was sold every Day in flavors! And fill in the area in 1835 Memorial Day weekend, or in December thirty-five feet from base ventilator. Was the first Lighthouse for the City of Two Rivers safely framework, while lumber exports to... Was driven into the pier, prompting immediate repairs were valued at $ 975,600 two rivers lighthouse while lumber exports amounted $! Was deactivated in 1969 and replaced with a modern beacon left onto Washington Street after that the... Operated a Lighthouse at Rawley Point since 1853 directions: from Rogers Lighthouse! Length was built of piles, sand was able to sift through and fill in the lantern,!, but it was sold only two rivers lighthouse Sundays area is nestled into Lake Michigan, making for scenic and. Replaced with a two rivers lighthouse beacon and from 12th Street, and from 12th Street and...